Whispers and dreams about a park in downtown Birmingham to honor the railroad history began in the 1950s. Over the years, visionaries kept the idea afloat. When the park plans were developed, the original name of the site, Railroad Reservation, was changed to Railroad Park. The Birmingham History Wall in the 18th Street Plaza represents the visual artifacts gathered by local railroad history aficionados. The 26.5-foot-long by 4.5-foot-tall interpretive sign on the corner of 1st Avenue South and 18th Street tells the history with black-and-white and color photos, historical maps, and a narrative time line from 1870 to 2010.
All text on the Birmingham History Wall is a product of the Railroad Park Foundation.